Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Making a Watermelon Cut

I love creating for challenge blogs. But sometimes I don't have the right image for the challenge. That's when I say "think outside the cut".

Honoring the awesome Fantabulous Cricut challenge blog and their great "Melon Time" challenge, I have a couple quick tips on how to cut a watermelon with your Cricut without using a watermelon image.


I've used some basic shapes to create 4 different kinds of watermelons. Starting in the upper left corner are a pair of parentheses. Almost every basic font cartridge with have a parentheses cut. Next are some little piece I will use later as the seeds. You can cut small leaves, commas, or raindrops for seeds. Of course you can use two slightly different sized triangles to make a watermelon slice. On the bottom left are a pair of "U"s from the Cuttin' Up cart, but any U will do. And last are a pair of circles in slightly different sizes.


Here are the images laid out on the Gyspy according to color. Upper left I cut out in red. Upper left I cut out in black. And the bottom I cut out in green. Easy peasy.


Here are the cuts all laid out. Remember to keep the negatives too, you will need them later.


I have layered the circles, glued them together and cut down the middle. Instant two watermelon slices.


For the parentheses and the "U" I saved the negative paper and cut a slice of red from that. It will fit perfectly with the green part to make a slender slice!


Here are all the watermelon slices lined up. On the left are slices with the seed cuts glued on top. On the right are slices with the seeds colored in with a Sharpie. Either way is real cute!!

I was inspired to make these "think outside the cut" creations because I only had 1 watermelon cut on all my cartridges. So if you don't have the image you want, you can always create it another way!

3 comments:

  1. How great is this! What a terrific way to stretch the cartridges you already own into more cuts! TFS! :)Amy
    amyscraftingspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a clever girl…thinking outside the cut :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is a really clever idea! I have a hard time "thinking outside the cut"! :) It does give me the excuse to get a new cartridge every now and then.... I'm a new follower, would love for you to check out my blog too! :) I'm actually doing a giveaway right now... Yay!
    Amy
    redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I just love reading all your comments! Thank you!